Saturday, October 12, 2013

Singing is Rude

I hate hearing other people sing. Here's why it't rude: You're being noisy. Maybe people don't want to be subjected to that particular stimuli. It's inconsiderate to just go around making noise without caring what nearby people think. Did you ask anyone if they mind if you sing? Don't you think that would be polite? You might not realize it, but you may be a lousy singer. Also, not everyone likes your taste in music, not to criticize your taste or preferences. There's a lot of songs I don't want to hear. Sometimes you can make a good song bad.

Actually, what bothers me about other people singing is not their singing as much as it's that they're singing. They don't know or care if they're bothering anyone. They're too stupid to know better. It agitates me, actually. Someone off to the side singing badly without a second thought. Sometimes you ask them to stop. Have you ever done that? Is there a nice way to do it? "Excuse me, could you please stop singing? I'm trying to read/watch a movie/concentrate on work/use the phone/etc." In my experience they get offended or they tell you something dumb like  "I'm not bothering anything." Sometimes people are kind and understanding and they agree, but five minutes later they forget! I could just leave the room but what if I was there first? What if you can't find a place in the house where you can no longer hear them? These are the kind of people who stand in front of the TV to talk to you, interrupt you while you're reading, or play music too loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment