Monday, April 28, 2014

Americans Are Stupid and Here's Some Anecdotal Evidence

I work in retail. I work in one of those big super markets like Target or Wal-Mart, but for the sake of keeping my personal and professional shenanigans separate, let's not say specifically which store I work.  I work in the automotive department where I meet some of the stupidest morons you'll encounter in America.



There's two kinds of people who shop in the automotive department: 1, People who REALLY know what they're looking for and 2, people who barely count as people. The Latter will actually ask me "Do you work in this department? Could you **recommend me oil/filter/spark plugs/battery/etc.?" One thing that frustrates me is this: I don't even own a car. Need I say more? What I actually mean is that I know squat about cars, so I am often put in a position where I have to explain "yes, I work in automotive but no, I don't know anything about cars. Yeah, that is funny, isn't it?"

Here's where I'm going with this, you might even call it the punchline: What the hell are people doing asking GODDAMN CLERKS for advice on caring for their $10,000-$25,000+ investments! I'm just a clerk, I stock the shelves and I help people find shit. Also, I *clean up after them. If I knew enough about cars that I could teach people basic car maintenance in one sitting I'd have a marketable skill! Why the fuck don't you ask your mechanic? You know, the person who actually went to school to study cars! These people are so stupid that they ask perfect strangers to tell them how to care for their cars. I could sabotage them. "5w-30? No, fuck that shit. That's bullshit. You know what they put in those formula 1 cars? Crisco. I would recommend that."

You know, I really appreciate a self reliant customer. The department has these machines and books scattered around that you can use to look up what parts or oil your car needs. People are generally too stupid to use them and require me to use them for them.

*People actually leave messes behind as they shop, including their garbage.
**key. fucking. phrase!

No comments:

Post a Comment