Monday, March 11, 2013

Innovation in Gaming is Usually Bad

In my rant about Pokemon, I said Pokemon sucks because you're doing the same thing over and over. I realized I wasn't entirely right. Sometimes, I like to do the same things over and over. It can be disappointing when a new entry in a beloved franchise is too different. I remember thinking to myself at the end of early pokemon games or other games that I was fond of, that I'd like to do it all over again, but in a different setting or with more levels. Anyone else ever feel like that? At the end of Megaman X, I just wanted more levels to play. I wanted to carry over the game play of FF7 to the next FF. I wanted more stuff to do in FF8. I'd like to play Super Mario World again, but with all different levels. Why? Because I love everything about the game but It's getting boring replaying it over and over again.

Innovation is a bad word to me. Sometimes it's good, but I think more often it gets out of hand. I have not played any Mario after the N64. I'd give it a shot to prove myself wrong, but gaming takes a lot out of me these days. I loved the old Resident Evil games. What the hell Sonic? Final Fantasy has an alien host. Mega Man X peaked at number 4. Ten out of eleven Chrono Trigger fans hated Chrono Cross. Legend of Dragoon was an unplayable mess. Breath of Fire 4 had a total tonal change and completely contradicted it's own continuity.

Whatever. That new Tomb Raider game looks awesome. And do they still make any Spyro?

No comments:

Post a Comment