Saturday, March 30, 2013

Dad: Stupid, Sick, or Mean?

My dad often tells my adult brother to take advice based not on the advice itself but based on the individual offering advice. His words: "You should listen to your dad. (because) Your dad wants to help you." Without knowing anything about my dad, this statement just sounds dumb but...

"You should listen to your dad." Why should you listen to your dad? Define should. Does should mean it's the right thing to do or a smart thing to do? Or if it's the smart thing to do? What if your dad is a hobo, a meth addict and an exhibitionist? Define listen. Do you mean hear or obey? Can I listen to other dads? Can I listen to anyone else?

"Your dad wants to help you." Why do you feel the need to make such a statement? Do you actually think no one else wants to help my brother? No one would look out for the best interests of another? No one else is willing to try for other people? Just one's father? You? That's the only person? This is flawed, incorrect reasoning and a harmful disposition to hold and teach. At best, a pessimistic yet practical statement by a misanthrope. At worst, faulty reasoning by a stupid, destructive individual. 

The latter part is such an obvious statement/redundancy that it indicates either someone just likes to hear the sound of their own voice or they lack succinctness: a quality of effective communication that gives credit to the audience's intelligence and respect for their time as well as demonstrating an understanding of one's own ideas.

Because my dad barely explains himself, everything he says sounds like a command.

There's an implication that my dad doesn't think my brother is smart enough to understand that a father would want to help his son. One theory is my dad makes premature judgements based on superficial, incomplete, inaccurate observations i.e. he judges a book by it's cover. Another theory is my dad is out of touch with his family and can't relate to them. Therefore, when communicating with his children, he holds a young him for whatever age that person is as a benchmark and superimposes it on the person. Thus, I assume my brother at 19 is smarter than my dad at 19.

There's an implication that my dad doesn't think his own son trusts him. Maybe he's projecting his own inability to trust others onto his son? Maybe my dad doesn't have enough self-confidence?

You could also interpret this as an (unconscious, or if they're actually smart, subtle and manipulative) expression of a desire for obedience. If you knew my dad, you might get this vibe a couple times a year.

Or there's somehow an implication that he thinks it's your moral imperative to accept advise based on one's biologic relations. I can't see this coming from someone who is psychologically healthy. It sounds like the conditioning attained from years of psychological abuse. Otherwise, it's flawed reasoning that is more characteristic of people who believe in objective morality.

There's another implication that he's arrogant and thinks he's always right. People who make absolute statements tend to be stupid people who hold many different cognitive dissonances. You could never explain to my dad how this statement comes across as arrogant no matter what. I believe he would argue that no one would think it's in any way an arrogant statement, even after you explicitly state that such was your very conclusion. My dad's mind is somehow equipped to recognize his arrogance as humility. From experience I know that he justifies anything he does by whether or not he (feels he) had good intentions.

Simply put I've learned not to indulge conversation with this person and similar people. Look at all the thoughts I had from one simple statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment